First and foremost, I've got time on my side right now to plan this all out. One of the biggest hurdles to overcome in flipping your classroom is making sure students have the materials they'd need in order to come to class prepared. Given that I'm subbing now, am only committed from 3-5pm each day during the summer, and don't have a lot of other things to attend to (like a kid), I'm sure I'll be able to come up with the resources I need for next year. Plus, I can be a little obsessive over stuff like this (i.e. my class haha).
Second, many educators are concerned about students having access to technology at home to study. I don't think that will be a problem at Somerset :)
So how am I going to do it?
- What am I going to teach? Given that I want to take advantage of all the time I have now, I need to have a clear idea of what I'm going to teach during the year. I just finished writing all my structures and am pretty happy with them!
- How Am I going to teach it? This will determine the types of materials that will best prepare my students for class each day. I know that I'm going to have a rough weekly outline of doing PQA, storytelling, and reading - with some other stuff like culture and novel-reading mixed in.
- What materials will my students need? This is the big one - and what I'm going to focus on now. In order to flip my classroom, students will need to get CI, CI, CI - at home without a native speaker. They can't just take notes, and I won't just do a Youtube lecture. Rather, here are my initial plans:
- Before PQA:
- List the structures for that lesson with their translation (possibly hidden for them to bring up), as well as an audio clip so students can hear how they sound.
- Provide the PQA questions with possible appropriate responses. Give them the opportunity to create their own responses (which they can send to me through Edmodo).
- Based on what they send me, I'll know how well they comprehended the vocabulary and where I'll need to start with them.
- Before storytelling:
- Give them a very short and simple short reading (with audio) to do - on Inkelwriter!
- I also want to create storytelling videos that students can hear and see the video. (Since these basically achieve the same goal, students could choose which format they like best?)
- Since I'll be writing "skeleton" stories as part of my lesson planning to guide my storytelling, I could just provide these to my students!
- Based on the reading, they can give me a brief summary showing how well they understood this "skeleton" story.
- Based on how well they comprehend the story, I know whether I need to re-teach or if they're ready to move into full-fledged story-telling.
- After storytelling:
- Students can write a summary of the class story to me in Spanish (they can use their notes and simply "fill-in-the-blank" - one that I'll edit and bring in for reading and discussion the next day.
- For speaking, we could even use Google Voice for students to record themselves telling the story! Of course, we'd only do that when students were ready to start practicing speaking.
- Before extended reading:
- Students can read a similar story (with audio) and write a summary to demonstrate comprehension.
- Update: Embedded readings would be great!
- Before culture:
- Students can research the culture topic we'll be working on and bring their newfound knowledge to class to share. This also facilitates preparing students for the future by using their resources to teach themselves!
Some of those ideas wrote themselves as I was creating this post. I'm very excited to start creating all these support materials. I imagine this will all come together as a website with everything on it - allowing students to go back and review/catch up as well as move ahead if they so desire. Plus, maybe my husband will finally learn Spanish! - If I do this correctly, motivated students should realistically be able to teach themselves Spanish, using class time to elaborate, engage, and personalize. And don't worry - I'll update when I get these going!
Check out this cool graphic about flipping your classroom:

I had heard about the flipped classroom and didn't think it would work in a World Language Classroom. Your post has caused me to ponder and change my opinion regarding this. Being the only TPRSer in my building, I find that I have to compromise my classtime in order to prepare my students for the 'traditional' style teachers they may encounter---but if I flip and teach the "grammar lessons" online --our precious CI time can be preserved! I plan on presenting the topics via powerpoint just like I would in class and record my voice explaining it all and save it a media file that is easily accessed from my eboard. I look forward to see what you do this coming year!
ReplyDeleteProfa,
ReplyDeleteI have been teaching using the TPRS format for about 5 years. I have just started hearing about the flipped classroom and wondered if it was possible with TPRS. I saw your blog but don't see an update. I was wondering if you were having success with it?