Personally, my nickname is simply "Profa." This is a great way to introduce "llamarse" (to call onseself). I write "Me llamo ________." (I call myself_______.) on the board with a translation. I give them the example that "Allá, me llamo Jillane. Aquí, me llamo Profa." (Out there, I call myself Jillane. Here, I call myself Profa.)
I use this to establish the "play" in the classroom and explain that who you are in here doesn't leave the room, and we even have different names. It's presented like a "club" where we can all be someone different. (Especially at the beginning of the year, when students are uncomfortable getting a little silly in class, I remind them this is Spanish and we're all someone different in here, etc.) In fact, we even add sounds and actions to their names!
In practice, students get out a piece of paper and fold it into thirds to create a triangle name-card on their desk. I display the list of nicknames and tell students to pick three possible names from the list and write it small on the inside of their card. They'll only be using one of their nicknames, but they have three just in case theirs gets picked before their turn. Nicknames can be a combination of the words I display or their own appropriate words, but encourage them not to make their name too long since we'll be calling them that and they'll be writing it on their papers for the rest of the year.
Then, we do a modified PQA activity (from Lesson 1.1.1: Descriptions)
- Write on board: ¿Cómo te llamas?/Me llamo ______./Se llama_______.
- Translate with the class on the board and add actions (box on shirt like a nametag)
- ¿Cómo te llamas? = How yourself call you?
- Me llamo ______. = Myself call I_______.
- Se llama_______. = Him/erself calls s/he_______.
- Watch "¿Cómo te llamas?" song
- Chant "¿Cómo te llamas? ¿Cómo te llamas? ¿Cómo te llamas tú?", and point to a student. Ask "¿Cómo te llamas?" (you don't have to do it before every student, but you can chant it once for a group of students and then ask each student in that group one-on-one "¿Cómo te llamas?")
- Student responds: "Me llamo..." and fills in the blank with their chosen nickname from their list of 3.
- Report to the class: "Se llama...."
- Class responds
After the student reports their name, they write it on the front of their name tag. You could have them write their real name on the other side, but I choose to only have them write their nickname so that it encourages consistent use of nicknames from everyone, including myself. Students keep their tags and are required to have them out each day (at least, until I feel like I don't need them anymore!). They are encouraged to personalize them, which many do by illustrating what their name means.
Follow-Up
Students are asked to come up with an action and sound for their name as "homework" - this further establishes "play" in preparation for stories! When they return, we do the full PQA activity as it's written in Lesson 1.1.1: Descriptions, but students respond with their name along with their action and sound and responses are circled and compared.
Hello! I am planning for my first week and looking for ideas to shale up the classroom - had the same students for two years now. I was wondering
ReplyDelete1) I tried to view the nicknames list, but it won't open. Can you share it again?
2) If you have any week 1 and 2 plans/activities, can you share those, or direct me to where they are?
Hello Prof. Baros! Thank you for sharing on your blog. The link to the nicknames list didn't work for me. Would you possibly email it to me? laura@cencis.com
ReplyDeleteHello Prof. Baros! Thank you for sharing on your blog. The link to the nicknames list didn't work for me. Would you possibly email it to me? laura@cencis.com
ReplyDelete