Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Flipping with Udemy and Edmodo

This is just a little teaser about a pet project I'm currently working on.  I've finally identified the resources and format I want to use for flipping my classroom and am working on getting the first quarter uploaded and organized.  For now, suffice it to say I'm using Udemy.com and Edmodo.com as my primary means of flipping.  Udemy is a platform allowing anyone to create an online course complete with a curriculum, lessons and modules, media, etc.  I think it'll work perfectly with the lessons I want my students to complete at home.  The drawback is that these courses are currently designed for independent, self-motivated, and self-assessing students, and so it doesn't provide a lot of feedback about student achievement and mastery.  Here's where Edmodo comes in on multiple fronts.  Edmodo is my means of communication both ways:  I'll post the assignment I want students to complete - including which lesson to view and instructions for submitting their work.  Once students view the lesson, they will follow the initial instructions to complete an assignment turned in via edmodo.  Finally, I can provide feedback on their assignment through Edmodo.  This gives me (and students!) real-time feedback about how well the students are learning the material through the lessons, which I can also evaluate instantly at the beginning of the next class via a pop quiz with clickers.  Using Edmodo assignments along with the clicker evaluations allows me to determine whether students are ready to move on and apply the information they learned, need some review, or simply didn't do the work.

Anyway, stay tuned for an update with more details!  The more I work on it and fine-tune everything, the more possibilities I discover and the cooler it gets!

No comments:

Post a Comment