Our Latino Culture Genius Hour projects are done and yesterday we presented our projects. So, how did we do? Here's the process we went through, how everything turned out, student projects, and my reflections on it all :)
Goals and Objectives
To make their learning experience as organic as possible, I only gave students one goal up front: Get curious and learn stuff. However, I formed other goals that I wanted students to achieve that helped me guide the class to where they needed to go (and at least half of my students needed some guidance as to what the heck they were supposed to do). These requirements were introduced throughout the process as they were needed, though in the future I may outline my objectives in more detail at the beginning for students to get an idea of the "big picture". However, I worry that introducing the "culture" requirement (see "projects" below) too soon will limit the scope of what students think is "acceptable" to be researching, so I may hold that requirement back until it is time to work on it.
![]() |
| A split Genius Hour project highlighting one of the movies we'd watched and facts about becoming a neonatal nurse, which she plans to pursue after high school. |
- Get curious and learn stuff.
- Form "essential questions to answer.
- Create evidence of learning through journaling.
- Journal about three questions per day (about 30 minutes/question).
- Create a product that represented their learning.
- Draw connections between their learning and culture.
I decided to introduce Genius Hour by having students Googling it. I really liked this method as it allowed them to use their information-finding skills right from the start and set the tone for the rest of the course. They needed a fair amount of time to do so - I'd give them at least twenty minutes or so. Once they found information and took notes (see "evidence of learning"), we discussed Genius Hour on a class level and I answered any questions students had. Going back, there was an activity we did in another lesson (see "supporting Genius Hour") where I had students write one thing on the board that they felt answered the question they were given. That was a very successful lesson as every student contributed to the classes "collective knowledge" about the topic, clear trends and themes appeared, and we used the visual display of everyone's contributions to guide the discussion. This would be a great way to introduce what Genius Hour is and what our goal/objectives during Genius Hour are.
![]() |
| Making ice cream! A cool recipe for making ice cream at home using basic ingredients and tools. Now my students want to make it on the last day of the program! |
![]() |
| "Dreams" project that led to a discussion about the dreams other students have experienced and this student was able to be our "expert" in explaining them. |
![]() |
| A project highlighting the many attractions and reasons to visit Costa Rica, which this student hopes to do someday. |
Due to the limited time frame and inability for students to complete work outside of class during this program, I kept things low-tech and simple. I use Interactive Notebooks in my class and so had students dedicate the entire second half of their notebooks to Genius Hour. The first page of this section was a Table of Contents where students would write their research topic and the page number they used to take notes about it. They titled their notes page with the essential question they were answering and used Cornell Notes to record what they found. Though I personally don't like using Cornell Notes, it was an excellent way for students to organize their note taking in a way that I could follow most of the time, especially since their notes were so varied. I could use the headings, summary, or the notes themselves to understand what information students had found. On the opposite page, students reflected on the information they found. I left this requirement open to interpretation, but gave them suggestions like describing why this was important to them, what was surprising, any connection it had to culture, etc. In the future, I will provide a list of questions that students can use for their reflections, though their responses won't be limited to the questions that I thought of.
![]() |
| Another vacation-themed project about Cuernavaca, Morelos in Mexico. |
This worked very well given the circumstances of our class. During the regular academic year, I'd like to digitize this part of their notebook so they can share their learning with others. I'm still brainstorming the best way for them to do this, but I think I will have them create a blog of some sort where they can post their essential question, the resource(s) they used to answer it, highlights from the notes they took, and their reflection. I'd like to find some way to get all of their posts in the same place as well so that they can explore one another's posts for inspiration during their own learning.
Supporting Genius Hour
For a number of reasons, I decided to take an inquiry- and experience-based approach to my class, allowing students to find information on their own and provide environments for students to get authentic experience with the culture. I used this to model what I wanted them to be doing during Genius Hour as well. Thus, each day's notes was titled with a question. Oftentimes, students helped me form the question once they knew what we would be doing that day, which worked well as they were able to still have their own questions that they were looking for answers to. Sometimes they looked for the answer to their question online and other times they looked for the answer in the experiences they had while eating traditional food or learning dances. They shared their learning with the rest of the class through discussions and presentations, though these were all more or less informal since they didn't have time to prepare a professional presentation. Yet, they still taught the rest of the class - including myself - many things about Latin American culture from the information they had found just a half hour earlier. This seemed to make them more comfortable with finding and sharing information, especially for the students that often asked me "Is this right?" or "Is this good?" My answers to these were to simply repeat the requirements (Does it answer this question?) and have them do a self evaluation to determine whether THEY thought it was "right" or "good".
Projects
Given our limited time and resources - including that students lived on-campus with residential mentors and had little to no free time with afternoons filled with activities, I kept our projects basic. I had two requirements: 1) It must represent something(s) you learned in this class, ad 2) You must use the poster board in some way. Again, I got the "Is this right?" questions and a few students were worried that they'd done the project wrong, especially when they saw what other students were doing. Again, I repeated the two requirements (Does it represent something you learned in this class and does it use the poster board?") and, when they answered yes to both questions, I assured them that it was perfect then and they're doing great. Students were making things from models of a Native American village to posters of places they wanted to visit to instructions for how to make ice cream.
![]() |
| The backside of the same "Aztec" project, an illustration of the Aztec calendar. |












No comments:
Post a Comment