Today was one of my favorite subbing experiences. The teacher knew I was certified in Spanish and so left plans that actually involved teaching. Being a grammar-based curriculum, the students were working on "we" commands using subjunctive. After reviewing what they'd already read in the book, I began doing some basic PQA with them, asking what the class should do and having them respond with "we" commands. As a sub, I have to work some quick magic to build rapport and get the students out of their shells, so I had them act out whatever their classmates commanded them to do. Then, one student commanded us: "Bailemos el Harlem Shake!" And thus, I participated in my first Harlem Shake video today.
This is by far one of my favorite things about TPRS - it's always an adventure to see what students will do once they take the language and run with it!
On a related note, the teacher came in during the last 20 minutes of the second class I was subbing for and go to witness another PQA activity, and loved what we were doing! She got a kick out of seeing "Bailemos el Harlem Shake" on the board and is looking forward to the video as well :)
Welcome to my classroom site with my plans, ideas, materials and more! As I prepare for my first year of teaching, I am developing my curriculum and materials for my Flipped TPRS classroom with Genius Hour/20 Time. I'm happy to share my work with others and am always eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions!
No comments:
Post a Comment