I've been planning to create videos for the stories and structures that I TPRS. These wouldn't necessarily be the exact stories that students came up with in class, but still teach the same structures, complete with questioning, adding details, and then circling them. I even purchased an animation program with which I can animate pictures of things - i.e. famous people (including myself), animals, stuffed animals, etc. - to compensate for my lack of hand-illustration skills and then adding audio. Of course, students wouldn't be able to suggest details to include in the story, but these would achieve taking TPRS home to prepare/learn/practice/review the structures we did in class with "real" TPRS. Plus, students can pause, rewind, and replay as much as they'd like! Of course, I want them to do that in my real-life classroom as well, but watching a video on your own removes some of the inhibitions to signal me to stop/slow down/repeat that will remain in a real classroom setting no matter what I do.
I imagine a few uses for these videos:
1) First, for my use, I have a way for students who miss class or need to review to do so in a classic TPRS-style. Sure, the stories may not be as interesting or interactive, but that's why you show up to class! However, it is still a useful and valuable resource for any students that need and/or want it as well as something that I could assign for review.
2) Second, for other teachers' use. I want to spread the word about TPRS! One of the best ways to learn about TPRS is to actually experience it. This would open up opportunities for other teachers to realize the strength and power of teaching through asking stories as well as provide a rough guide for how it's done.
3) Third, for other students' use. Unfortunately, I cannot be my husband's or little-brothers' full-time teacher. However, with videos like these, I can give them a starting point for learning the structures. Of course, that would then be supplemented with leveled reading material. And, with a motivated student, I can almost simulate the TPRS experience for them to learn on their own time and schedule.
Welcome to my classroom site with my plans, ideas, materials and more! As I prepare for my first year of teaching, I am developing my curriculum and materials for my Flipped TPRS classroom with Genius Hour/20 Time. I'm happy to share my work with others and am always eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions!
No comments:
Post a Comment