Sunday, March 24, 2013

QR Codes in TPRS

I'll admit, I'm a little behind the times on this one, especially for having grown up in the technology-infused generation that I belong to.  I'll blame it on my stubbornness to pay the premiums that Verizon demands for data.  However, I have since found a cheaper phone carrier and purchased a smart phone.

And today, I discovered the name and function to those funky little squares popping up everywhere: QR codes (thank you SeƱora Hitz).  And now, my brain is working in warp speed on all the ways I could use these within my classroom.

Mind = BLOWN.

I'm so excited!  Here are a few of my ideas:

In my last post, I described the supplementary TPRS ask-a-story videos I'd like to create.  These would have all been great fun and accessible from my website, but, let's face it, many students will never make it there.  Unless.....  there is a QR code!!  What if, when I gave students the list of all the structures we plan to do, there were QR codes included that students could scan and go directly to the stories with those structures!! Awesome!!

And the class story-books that I want to create for each class?  I could include a QR code for the video that teaches the structures contained in the story story as well as for an audio file of that exact story being read with correct pronunciation so students can listen to the story and read along.  Epic!!

And of course, now I'm thinking of all the many places I could put QR codes for students to access digital media, which I use constantly in class.  All the Sr. Wooley videos, Prezi presentations, class website and EdModo page, my Spanish music playlists on YouTube and Pandora, any hand-outs or materials I want them to have, approved research websites.......  The possibilities for integrating media seamlessly into the classroom are endless!  Welcome to the 21st Century Classroom!

Kathy Shrock's Guide to Everything is an excellent resource I found with more information and applications for QR codes as well as a number of resources for getting started with them in your classroom!

UPDATE: Vocaroo is a great resource that allows you to record audio and then generate a QR code to hear it - I'll definitely be using it in the future!

1 comment:

  1. I see you posted this in March... any chance you've put it to use yet? I'm looking to do something with QR code as well, but I don't want to do it just to do it - I want it to be meaningful! I'd love any insight/help!

    ReplyDelete