Friday, May 10, 2013

20% Time

Just read about this and want to bookmark it to ponder later!

http://edudemic.com/2013/05/10-reasons-to-try-20-time-in-the-classroom/

UPDATE:  OK, I'm reading mroe about this, and I'm getting that giddy "I'm SO excited!" feeling for doing this with my students.  I'm sold.  But, I need to ponder this more before I can clearly articulate the ideas my brain is forming.  Here are a few more websites of inspiration!

http://educationismylife.com/designing-20-time-in-education/

http://www.iteachithink.com/2012/07/give-your-students-20-time-to-do.html

http://stumpteacher.blogspot.com/2011/03/innovation-day-2011.html

http://www.geniushour.com/2013/03/29/approching-your-administration-about-genius-hour/

http://geniushour.wikispaces.com/Testimonials

http://www.geniushour.com/2013/03/29/approching-your-administration-about-genius-hour/

UPDATE:  I'm ready to write down the ideas running around my mind!





The more I learn about 20% time, the more I love it and want to give my students this opportunity.  Obviously, this isn't something I can do and expect students to learn Spanish, but I was thinking this may be a very cool way to approach culture.  That's not "pure" 20% time since I'd be putting that one requirement in that may "narrow" what students can study, but I imagine every student could connect what they are passionate about to Spanish-speaking culture in some way.  (Maybe there will be some flexibility to do "pure" 20% time in the future - I know I'll be facilitating some sort of after-school activity for 6 weeks, so maybe I could do this?  And, maybe, if I do this, it'll catch on with other teachers and the school!)

In my curriculum, I have Fridays set aside for culture, essentially 20% of my class time, where I'd planned to discuss a "theme" each day.  Rather, though, I'm thinking I can turn students loose to learn about what they're passionate about (though relating it back to some aspect of culture), and then allowing them to teach each other.  Each student (or group of students) would begin with a question, research the answer to their question, and create a product demonstrating their learning.  Beyond just the benefits of simulating real-world work by allowing them to choose what they're going to do and then developing some sort of product demonstrating that learning, I think they'll also have much more long-lasting learning experiences that are in-depth and relate to them and they'll love learning about other aspects of culture through their peers' projects.

Here are few ideas I can come up with off the top of my head, with an example question and product:
  • Architecture
    • Build a model of the Barcelona Cathedral
  • Interior design
    • Design a home with Spanish-style decorating
  • Making a difference
    • Present a plan that would improve the economic situation of someone in the Spanish-speaking world (like "Living on One")
  • Economics
    • Create a display illustrating the money and their exchange rates
    • Explain how micro-economies work and improve the lives of locals
  • Literature
    • Create a children's book in Spanish
  • Painting/drawing
    • Create a painting in the style of DalĂ­
    • Create a mural that communicates a message like Picasso's Guernica
  • Drama
    • Perform a dramatic piece illustrating some aspect of Spanish culture (historical event, work of literature, etc)
  • Movies
    • Create a movie illustrating some aspect of Spanish culture
    • Film a movie that takes place in a Spanish-speaking country
  • Technology
    • Create an app that teaches students about the Spanish/Latino world
    • Explain how a particular piece of technology from the Spanish-speaking world works (like the Eurotrain)
  • Biology
    • Explain the unique evolution of the animals in the Galapagos Islands
  • Geology
    • Show how the fault lines cause volcanoes and earthquakes in South America
  • Ecology
    • Explain the unique environment in the cloud forests
  • Vacations/Tourism
    • Plan a vacation to a Spanish-speaking country
  • Politics
    • Take a position on immigration and argue it
  • Dance 
    • Perform a Latin dance
  • Music
    • Write and perform an original song about Spanish culture
    • Learn and perform a traditional Latin American song
  • Horses
    • Demonstrate the training style used in the Spanish Riding School
  • Hip Hop
    • Create a playlist of popular Spanish-speaking artists
  • Food
    • Cook a traditional meal
  • Coffee
    • Sample the different types of coffee produced from Latin-American countries
  • Religion
    • Explore the various religious believes and practices
  • Pets
    • Show what kind of pets are kept in Mexico and how they're treated/used
    • Explain the effect of illegal exotic pet trade from Costa Rica
  • Parties
    • Host a Day of the Dead celebration
Ok, that's enough for now.  Plus, my ideas aren't very creative compared to what students are capable of coming up with.  I'm sure I'll learn plenty from them that I've never even thought of!  That brings me to another important aspect of this project - it was suggested on one of the websites to connect students to a mentor that can be their "go-to" person when it comes to expertise on a subject area.  Granted, I doubt there will be an expert for each of the specific projects, but it would be good for each student to find someone who has general knowledge related to their topic and can guide them to find their answers.  This takes a lot of the pressure off of me trying to help every single student on their various projects and topics, most of which I will likely be learning about from them.  Plus, it teaches networking and gives them a connection to someone else who loves what they love!

I really want students to be able to show off what they've learned and created, so I think I'll try to arrange a time where they can present their project to everyone.  Maybe I can talk my principal into giving students a school day where they set up their projects in the cafeteria for other students, parents, admin, and community members can come check out their work?  As for a timeline, I'm thinking about doing two "big" projects per year - one each semester.  At mid-term (the end of the quarter), they can give a brief presentation to the class about what they've learned so far and where they want to go with it, then present their final products at the end of the semester on a larger scale.  That also gives students the opportunity to explore something different second semester, or to build on their work from first semester if they so choose.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this now.  I can't wait to see it in action!

5 comments:

  1. Jilane,
    I'm excited for you to try this amazing 20% time! It will be great; I guarantee it! In fact, I've been giddy for almost two years now that we've been doing what we call genius hour.

    It is amazing to let students take ownership of their learning. We can't give them knowledge; we can only create an atmosphere where they can learn. I believe you are doing that.

    I've had a thought I'd like to run by you. I thought a language class might be a great place to do "pure" 20% time. What do you think about my idea, which is totally just a thought--not based on experience at all: Would it be possible to let students (maybe 3rd or 4th year) learn anything they want about any topic, but report back to their fellow students in Spanish? Do you think that would work?

    Anyway, happy studying, and welcome to the neighborhood of other teachers passionate about this kind of learning!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement! Unfortunately, though, it would be extremely difficult and counterproductive for students to attempt to share their learning in Spanish for a few reasons. First and foremost is fluency - given the in-depth and unique nature of each students' learning, they will likely acquire new vocabulary even in English that they will have to share and explain to others. Even for me, it would be difficult to dive into a specific subject and then try to re-learn how to explain that to others, much less for students brand new to the language. They wouldn't be able to fully express themselves, and their fellow students wouldn't be able to understand them even if they did manage to say way they were trying to.

      That comes back to the particular method I'm using for teaching Spanish - TPRS (hence the title of this blog). One of the fundamental ideas of TPRS is that we don't force output - students will speak and write when they're ready, and forcing output is not only not helpful, but can actually be harmful for students. Rather, they get 100% comprehensible and correct input (listening and reading), and the output naturally comes when students are ready. It's a very different way of approaching language than most people are used to. I like to think outside the box, and these new methods - including 20% time - will take our students to new heights of success! :)

      I'm very excited to be connecting to teachers outside my small TPRS world and do appreciate your comments and ideas so much. I would love to hear more about your experiences and ideas to make sure I make the most of this project! I may actually have another opportunity to do a "pure" genius hour with students - my school has teachers host an after-school activity of our choice for six weeks that we can open up to any students we'd like. I'm thinking I may use my six weeks to host genius hour - which would be very cool to open up to the whole school since it's going to be K-9 this year (and eventually K-12)! What do you think?

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Jillane, for your lengthy comment and helping me understand! I really appreciate it, for now I will no longer suggest that as a possibility. Instead, I can point to your culture idea as one for language teachers to consider.

    I left a few resource people and a link to the Global Genius Hour Project on Google+ for you.

    I think your idea for doing genius hour with your six-week after school class is a fabulous one! Perfect! Valerie Lees (@v_lees on Twitter) from Surrey, BC, teaches a full semester class in high school called Genius Hour.

    There is a huge supportive community on Twitter if you follow the hashtag #geniushour. Also #20time, but I think #geniushour may be a bit busier! Lots of helpers out there. Another high school teacher to look up is John Stevens (@JStevens009 on Twitter) and Sunday evening (May 12) the #CAedchat group is talking about this kind of learning on Twitter at 8 pm Pacific time.

    Check out the wiki at: geniushour.wikispaces.com too. There is no shortage of resources!

    Warm regards,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'll be sure to connect with everyone. What great resources for support and PD!

      From your comments, it sounds like I'm on the right track. Trying anything to allow students to personalize their learning is better than nothing, though I was really hoping I wasn't "polluting" (so-to-speak) our genius hour by asking students to find some way to connect their learning to Spanish-speaking culture. I'm so excited to see what my students come up with, and I can't wait to give all students the opportunity to do their own genius hour after school! I don't know which I'm more excited for - my "real" class or my "extra-curricular" class!

      Delete
  3. Exciting, and I just read your latest post too, about doing genius hour the first semester, and a more formal 20 Time Project the second semester. I like your reasoning that since this will be new to them, they may not know what to pick for a semester or year-long project.

    I hadn't really given a thought as to the difference in the two terms. I use them synonymously, although I have thought that long-term 20% Projects seem to be done more at the high school level. I'm in middle school, and our projects tend to go for 4-6 weeks before students present and what they've learned and are ready to move on to another area of interest.

    Regarding "polluting" genius hour, I do it. A lot. In science and social studies we call it "researcher's workshop," and we will do it for a week at a time. I tell the students it's like genius hour only with the Standards. They find a topic and/or standard and see how they can show their learning about it. We always find a standard to master that has to do with a topic they love. I have students right now studying Jackie Robinson, Roe vs. Wade, and Mississippi vs. Loyola in the 1963 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament. Amazing American history learning going on about topics students are passionate about! They spend hours reading, talking, learning, and they are happy about it!

    Thanks,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete