A product of the misguided "No Child Left Behind" act is the notion that we must teach to the bottom. The students who simply don't understand, whether or not by choice (referring to behaviors here), set the pace of the classroom, forcing higher-achieving students to wait for them. This drags the pace of the entire course down, ending in frustration for the higher students who want to learn, the lower students who are constantly nagged, and the teacher who simply cannot get her job done.
The other day, I read about a simple notion that changes this paradigm: Teach to the top. For example, when you notice that a few of your students are done working, move on to the next activity. Don't make those students sit and waste their valuable education time waiting for everyone else to catch up. Don't get after the students taking forever to hurry up so you can finish teaching what you need to. Simply inform students that it's time to move on. Time is valuable - we're not going to wait.
At first, this sounds cruel and unusual. While it is unusual, I'm beginning to believe that it's far less cruel - and much more effective - than teaching to the bottom. By raising the standard, you create a sense of urgency. People are learning in here - I need to pick up the pace! Students aren't going to be rewarded or accommodated for not paying attention or dragging their feet. It's time to get those gears turning and get to work! By approaching their classrooms this way, other teachers have seen overall level of the class improve as students become focused and attentive.
Thoughts worth considering...
Welcome to my classroom site with my plans, ideas, materials and more! As I prepare for my first year of teaching, I am developing my curriculum and materials for my Flipped TPRS classroom with Genius Hour/20 Time. I'm happy to share my work with others and am always eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions!
No comments:
Post a Comment